Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fifth Letter from the MTC


Hey everyone! How are ya'll? How's life in Tx? is is blasting hot yet? so i have tons to say today: Last tuesday Elder Russel M. Nelson came! and his new wife of 6 years. he talked about the doctrine of the church and how it's just the doctrine, not doctrines. it brought everything back to the basics, which is exactly what we're teaching, so that was really cool.

I was talking to my teacher about my job in austin and how i get really paranoid in big cities and i don't feel safe. she said that there is something about being on a mission, she never felt unsafe the whole time she was in manila. and she had faith that the lord would protect her. a lot of times she would get the feeling not to go somewhere or to take a different route. it comforted me to know that as long as i'm doing my best, the lord will watch over me. it is going to be weird to go from the safe bubble of the mtc to one companion in a huge foreign city tho.

so our lessons and tagalog are getting better and better! there are ovservation rooms where we can watch someone being taught, like watching someone be interrogated and we can hear and see them but they can't hear or see us. it's really fun but nerveracking if you're the one being observed. so the other day we were observing sis. vaenuku and mgalogo teach their invesitgator, Gigi (our teacher) and gigi told them her baby was sick in tagalog and sis. v said, oh mabuti! (oh good!) haha. and then before they left gigi said will you bless my baby in the closing prayer? and they said, yes but they didn't do it! so gigi said, why didn't you bless my baby? and they didn't understand until the third time so when they ginally got it sis. v goes, next time we will bless her! and gigi said but shes  sick right now. so they were like okay and thy knelt back down to pray and gigi pointed at the spot where her pretend baby was and said don't forget to bless her and sis. m thought she was pointing for her to kneel there so she walks over to where the baby is and kneels right on top of it! gigi looked horrified through the whole prayer. oh man we were laughing so hard in the observation room and going, no! don't do it! it was like watching a movie and you want to help the main character so bad but you can't haha.

Anyway, two days ago at dinner elder callaway asked me if i got punched in the eye. i was super embarrassed cause i knew i had a red mark under my eye but i really thought it was just from being tired and my skin being dry. but i started noticing other pink-eye ish symptons. so i went to the health clinic and yep! my eye was infected. so i got to leave the mtc and get my eye drops at the byu health center but it was only $10. the worst part is i have to wear my glasses for 8 days, and buy all new eye makeup. the doctor said i was lucky i caught it when i did because wearing contacts makes it worse and can burn holes in your retina. he said it could've had a drastic effect on my eyesight too! scary! so then at dinner elder eagan suggested i ask for a blessing, which i hadn't even thought of! i wasn't going to but then i remembered what you said dad about how we need to use the priesthood as much as we can. so i asked my district leader and all five elders in my district stood around me and elder kehler gave me a blessing of health. it was such a peaceful moment and the spirit was so strong. my love for those elders grew so much because they were all so willing and ready to give me a blessing. the respect these elders have for the priesthood is very admirable and i'm so lucky to have had a worthy priesthood holder available to me my whole life. :) i really love my district they are like family. sometimes i can't wait to leave the mtc but other times i wish i could stay forever with the same people.

There is this tongan sister here, sister huni, who loves to take people's towels when they're showing and then laugh when they have to run naked to get it. she is this big tongan sister too and she thinks it's the funnniest thing in the world. i told someone i was scared of her and she found out. so the other night she was like, sis. garcia are you scared of me? and i said, only when i'm in the shower. and she (acting all innocent) was like, why? and i said, cause i don't want you to take my towel! and she said, don't worry. i won't do that to you, but if it happens don't scream. and then she did this evil chuckle and walked away. now i'm more scared than ever! the next morning she asked my companion TWICE if i was in the shower so the next day i showered in a different bathroom. let's just say i'm learning to take fast showers and i might feel safer in the philippines lol!
i learned some tongan words like, shut up, i love you, you're fat, i want to sleep, too much sleep, and i hate you. so all the important ones haha. They say these things to each other constantly. they think it's hilarious when i say something in tongan. i'm just stocking up on vocab so i'll have stuff to say to sister huni when she takes my towel, haha. 

i miss shoppng with you and elena-but i actually got 3 new skirts lately.i bought a purple one for fun from the international sister store and 2 tongan sisters gave me theirs saying, i got so gat it won't git .you wear, it look cute on you." haha i love them. i will probably send a big box of stuff home-is that okay? or did you want me to give it away? Thank you everyone for your letters, I definitely feel all your love and support and i'm praying for you every day! if you are reading this and haven't written me, why not?! i want to hear from ya'll! Love you all! Have a great week!! Love-Age

No comments:

Post a Comment