Sunday, May 20, 2012

She's in the Philippines!


Hey!

So the Philippines is crazy. Man I can't believe I'm actually here. The flight went well, we actually stopped in Guam to refuel, but didn't get off the plane. We talked to a couple people and everyone stared at us haha. I'm guessing I'll get that a lot. I have had everyone staring at me and if I smile at them they just stare longer, so I don't know if I should smile? We got to LAX and took forever to find the international terminal. When we finally found it we had to stand in the longest line to get our boarding pass (like an hour i think) and there were a million filipinos all speaking tagalog and lugging these huge boxes and bags around. It looked like all of them were moving their whole lives. I talked to one lady and she said they were probably all bringing gifts back to their families in the Philippines cause if you don't it's rude. I asked her if the line was always this long and she said, ya I don't know why but everyone wants to go to the Philippines!
haha anyway I slept pretty much the whole flight and Sister Winger kept calling me Maka Mohe. But I still feel tired. We came out of the airport and some random Filipino was waving at us. I was like, that looks sketchy, but Sister winger and Elder Christensen went right up to him and let him take their bags so I just followed. I was like, Um where are you taking us and then he said, don't you wanna go on your mission? We got to this huge van surrounded by a ton of skinny filipino guys all staring at us and looking us up and down. I was pretty nervous but I guess they just hang out there to help with luggage and get paid. So we all got in the van and then finally the driver told us his name. I was like, This guy could seriously be anyone and we'd have no idea! But turns out he was the right one thank goodness and he drove us to President Sperry's house.

We went through a gated community with grass and really nice houses. The mission home is amazing! Everything was like glass and marble and it was so cool. I couldn't believe it was like 90 degrees F at 8 in the morning. haha it's 1:20pm now and it's SO hot! It reminds me of the middle of summer in Texas though so I kinda like it. I just feel super bad for the elders wearing black pants. Poor Elder Christensen was sweating like crazy! Anyway, President Sperry let us shower and change and freshen up which felt super nice. It was just like in the Hunger Games how they go to the really fancy capital and eat a ton right before going into the arena. haha i felt like Katniss a little bit. Then we ate pizza with some of the elders that have been here for about a year and a half. They were really fun and nice and asked us how our tagalog was. Compared to theirs, pretty much nonexistent. They were talking so fast! So we ate pizza and then drove with them to the chapel where some of the sisters were waiting for us.


The way people drive here is so insane! There are no traffic rules and everyone cuts in front of everyone all the time, no right aways, people jay-walking, everything! I just closed my eyes and tried to sleep but sister winger was freaking out and kept gasping and screaming like, we're going to die! Lol. We met up with the sisters and it's their p-day today which is the only reason we get to email you! But they are all Filipino. Me and Sister Winger are the only Americans. So we're in the internet cafe right now and I'm sweating but I'm super happy that I got to email you!

The Philippines is overwhelming and scary and I feel so huge cause everyone is small. But so far everyone has been really nice and I'm excited to get better at Tagalog! The sisters that I'm with said that we'll probably go teach some people tonight and I will need to bear my testimony and help with the teaching a little bit. I'll do my best I guess! haha but that makes me really nervous. All the signs are in english and the elders said that pretty much everyone speaks taglish. 
We had some filipino food on the plane that was really good. there was like this bread thing covered in cheese that almost tasted like a donut so that was good. Then for lunch they gave us a warm roll filled with some kinda pork i think? That was okay...Tonight we're staying at the mission home and tomorrow we find out who our new companion is. I'm really excited! I honestly think I'll feel safer if I get a Filipino sister haha. I've already seen a few scraggly dogs and cats and had a bunch of people ask me if I'm half Filipino because of my last name :).

Mom-I feel like your grandkids are pretty much going to be the luckiest grandkids in the whole world! Your trip to Utah and maybe CA sounds so fun! I keep wanting to say, come see me while you''re at it! haha but i'm across the world now! that's so weird. It's like surreal, like i'm in a movie or something! haha I'm sure i'll get used to it!


Sorry we didn't get to talk longer on Mother's day, Mom, but I want you to know that I am so grateful you joined the church and were so brave to go on a mission. You are the person I think of when times get hard because I know that if you could do it, I have a chance of being able to do it too. I love you and I admire everything about you. You're the woman I hope to be someday! Don't ever feel unappreciated cause I'm thinking about you and thanking Heavenly Father for you every day! I love you!!

Love, Age


P.S. we get an hour for email every pday and it's only 10 pesos! (whatever that means)

No comments:

Post a Comment